IMPACT INVESTMENT INTERNATIONAL EXPERT
UNITED NATIONS DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME
Yerevan | Armenia
23.05.2019 (Midnight New York, USA)
Post Level: International Consultant
Languages Required: English
Starting Date: (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 01-Jun-2019
Duration of Initial Contract: 1 June 2019 - 31 December 2019 (70 work days)
The priority of utilizing and leveraging diverse sources of finance – public, private, domestic and international – to achieve the SDGs was an outcome of the 2015 Addis Ababa Action Agenda1. The United Nations Development Programme (“UNDP’) has and continues to develop partnerships with international financial Institutions, the civil society, the private sector, as well as individuals to make this vital blending of financial instruments and sources possible. Clearly, technology and innovation are central to the implementation of the 2030 Agenda and the SDGs. When utilized effectively, technology can be mobilized to identify barriers and provide solutions for sustainable development challenges from the local to the global level. Furthermore, the science-policy interface has become an increasingly important component of the UN system, guiding evidence-based sustainable development policy design, implementation, follow-up and review. It has also been integral in identifying emerging needs, drawing links between thematic issues, and devising solutions to address challenges and barriers to progress.
Or above mentioned purpose Impact investment can catalyze additional capital flows into developing economies and stimulate private sector development where this is otherwise absent. By combining various forms of capital with different return requirements, social challenges can be addressed in more scalable ways than what is achievable by the government alone. Government, Development Financial Institutions (DFIs), non-profit and private sector stakeholders have identified a range of SDG-related sectors that would benefit from development capital. These include: agriculture, healthcare, education, power, real estate etc. Impact investors have the opportunity and capacity to provide new ways to allocate public and private capital more efficiently and effectively to these and other relevant sectors, ultimately demonstrating that investment can achieve both a positive social/environmental impact and a financial return.
UNDP Armenia initiated a partnership with a Fund Manager which would establish and manage a private impact investment fund, designed to contribute to the achievement of SDG goals through investments in Armenian and regional (international) impact ventures. To achieve this, the Fund would catalyze funding from both public and private sources to support the SDGs.
Duties and Responsibilities
The core responsibilities of the impact investment expert will be the support to the Fund Manager (FM) on legal setup, fundraising and impact venture pipeline generation. Working with senior management, programme and innovation teams in Armenia and regionally he/she will advance implementation of related initiatives and structures at country and regional level. This will include providing strategic advice to UNDP Country Office in Armenia, supporting the impact investment team, overseeing planning and organization of the processes, building partnerships between selected fund manager and potential investors from Armenia and other countries and responses to emerging challenges and opportunities, including pro-active approach to fund raising. The Impact Investment Expert will work if necessary with Government officials, technical domain experts, international donor and financial organisations, the private sector including investors, banks, SMEs and social enterprises.
Scope of Work
- Assist the FM in articulation of impact mandate and completion of investment and impact thesis, including methodology for selection of metrics (qualitative and quantitative) to be applied to the terms and SHAs (shareholders` agreements) of all executed transactions.
- Provide FM with inputs, network, recommendations for the fundraising campaign and marketing approaches as well as major paid events and visits to potential Limited Partners / Investors. Assistance in completion of pitch deck, sampling of pitch narrative, impact measurement, cost structure etc.
- Assist FM in the construction of potential impact ventures with minimum $5M investment absorption capacity including the development of preliminary financial and impact due diligence criteria set for minimum 5-7 impact ventures.
- Organize roadshow and event with participation of potential investors and impact ventures.
- Provide assistance in investor targeting in respect to investor types and landscape.
- Assisting local investment team to scale-up of specific structures (accelerator, fund, impact measurement unit).
- Acting as an independent Assessor and evaluate the performance of the Fund Management if necessary.
- Supporting in design and implementation of UNDP Armenia CO’s impact investment initiatives.
- Liaising closely with UNDP’s global and regional initiatives on innovative finance and impact investments; develop connections and cooperation with impact investment and social entrepreneurship sector specific professional and institutional networks globally.
- Support is provided to FM on design of Impact mandate
- Support is provided to FM on Detailed Fundraising Plan
- Support is provided to FM on Pipeline of potential impact ventures
- Roadshow and event with participation of potential investors and impact ventures is organized.
- Advises are provided to the local impact team on new impact investment initiatives.
Payment will be made in one installment upon completion of all tasks and approval of deliverable by the UNDP country office.
Output 1 – 10% of total amount
Output 2 – 30% of total amount
Output 3 – 25% of total amount
Output 4 – 25% of total amount
Output 5 – 10% of total amount
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with people of different social and cultural backgrounds;
- Strong track record with producing high quality research and strong quantitative skills in project design, scenario analysis;
- Ability to support and advise senior decision makers and contribute to multi-faceted learning among stakeholders in Armenia, in the broader ECIS region and across regions
- Excellent coordination and collaboration skills, with ability to work under time pressure and handle multiple activities and projects concurrently;
- Ability to work independently and to participate effectively in team-based information sharing;
- Excellent analytical skills, oral presentation and interpersonal communication skills.
Required Skills and Experience Education:
- Master's Degree in Finance, Economy, Banking or any other relevant field
- At least 5-year professional and managerial experience in the sectors related to in impact investment, innovative finance and / or Venture Capital / Private Equity funds, Banking and Finance, Business, SMEs and start-ups promotion and support.
- At least 7 years of relevant experience at the national or international level providing high-level management or investment advisory services;
- At least 7 years of hands-on experience in project design and planning, strategies implementation, partnerships building.
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Knowledge of Russian or other UN language would be an asset.
INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANTS WILL BE EVALUATED BASED ON THE FOLLOWING METHODOLOGY:
Candidates will be evaluated using a cumulative analysis method taking into consideration the combination of the applicants' technical qualifications, experience and financial proposal. The contract will be awarded to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as technically responsive/compliant/acceptable to the requirements of the ToR and received the highest cumulative (technical and financial) score out of below defined technical and financial criteria.
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 49 points in the technical evaluation would be considered for financial evaluation.
Technical Criteria - 70% of total evaluation - max. 70 points
Financial Criteria - 30% of total evaluation - max. 30 points.
DOCUMENTS TO BE INCLUDED WHEN SUBMITTING THE APPLICATION.
- Financial Proposal and Availability form: OFFEROR’S LETTER TO UNDP
- CV shall include Education/Qualification, Processional Certification, Employment Records /Experience
General Conditions of Contract is available here.
Note: Please note you can upload only one document to this application (scan all documents in one single PDF file to attach).
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Please state that you learned of this vacancy from www.youthcanal.am website.