FOUNDATION FOR ARMENIAN SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Our best is yet to come. Which is why FAST is creating opportunities to support doctoral students both within and beyond their academic lives. From stipends to funding, our efforts champion the most remarkable minds of the early-career scientific community in Armenia and the diaspora.
The Foundation for Armenian Science and Technology (FAST) Fellowship Program was established in October 2017. The aim of the program is to support talented students of Armenian descent or citizens of the Republic of Armenia, who wish to conduct PhD studies in STEM-related fields at leading universities in Armenia.
Knowledge is our power. FAST Fellowships support outstanding PhD candidates within the hard sciences.
We support asking the right questions. FAST Fellowships deliver financial assistance to extraordinary students.
Each year multiple fellowships will be available for prospective PhD students and degree-seekers. The Fellowships offered are as follows:
- 5 full fellowships, each worth annually $7000
- 25 partial fellowships, each worth annually $3500
- 10 full fellowships for outstanding female students and degree-seekers, each worth annually $7000
These fellowships are designed to cover full tuition, housing, and a stipend.
Fellowships will be awarded on an annual basis with an opportunity to apply for an extension to continue the Fellowship program, which will be dependent on the academic progress, and other duties carried out during the year by the fellow.
For the 2018-2019 Academic Year the application submission deadline is April 30, 2018.
- Yerevan State University
- Yerevan State Medical University after Mkhitar Heratsi (Only for candidates who are willing to pursue PhD in fields of science associated with deep research. E.G. Biochemistry)
- National Polytechnic University of Armenia
- Russian-Armenian University
- Armenian National Agrarian University
- European Regional Educational Academy of Armenia
- A.I. Alikhanyan National Science Laboratory (Yerevan Physics Institute)
- Scientific Research Institute of Energy
- Center for the Advancement of Natural Discoveries using Light Emission
- Life Sciences International Postgraduate Center
- National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Armenia
- Research Laboratories and Centers, the Ministry of Agriculture
- Vanadzor State University
- National University of Architecture and Construction of Armenia
In order to be eligible for the FAST Fellowship, an applicant must:
- Be a citizen of the Republic of Armenia or be of Armenian descent.
- Be no more than 35 years old at the time of application.
- Need to have applied or be in the process of applying for a university PhD program.
- Need to have completed a master's degree in a relevant field of studies while maintaining an average GPA of 3.7 or higher.
- Possess an upper intermediate level of English. A formal foreign language proficiency certification is necessary. Minimum scores required: TOEFL IBT - 79, IELTS - 6.5.
- Need to have two letters of recommendation from established researchers, faculty members or previous employers.
- In exceptional cases when the research proposal is of extraordinary quality, the candidate will be given two more months to retake the Language exam.
Additional criteria for second and third year PhD students:
- Research experience (number of submitted/published articles).
- Professional experience.
- Number of published/submitted articles, most importantly in foreign journals.
- Participation in research topic related events (conferences, seminars and roundtables).
The following documents must be submitted to FAST:
- Research proposal (maximum 5 pages, written in English).
- University enrollment letter for a second- and third-year applicant.
- At least two writing samples, in which the applicant appears as the sole author.
- Copy of valid passport or ID card.
- Official university transcript to demonstrate GPA converted to maximum 4.0-scale.
- Letter of support for the application.
- CV (in English).
- Foreign language test certificate.
- Copies of university diplomas and transcripts.
- Two letters of recommendation.
Additional Documents for Non-Residents:
- Birth certificate.
- Passport of parent of Armenian descent.
- Baptism certificate (in case no other documents are found to prove Armenian descent).
Application and Selection Process
After evaluating the applications and conducting the initial interviews, FAST will invite the shortlisted candidates for an interview with the selection committee. The interview will give the candidates an opportunity to manifest their fundamental skills, talents, and motivation which are essential for the fellowship. Based on the interview results, the selection committee will make their final decisions in awarding fellowships to selected candidates.
It is important to note that second and third-year applicants are subject to different criteria than first-year applicants. Second and third-year applicants must have published at least one research paper and participated in roundtables, conferences, and seminars during the academic year. Applicants’ research papers will be evaluated based on the ranking of the publishing journal, the relevance of the article to the research topic, and literature used. Those applying to extend their fellowship do not need to submit a new application. At the end of the academic year, these applicants must submit a final report. Based on that report, the selection committee will decide whether to extend the fellowship or not.
If an applicant does not want to be considered for the extension of the fellowship, he/she will be required to send a notification in electronic form to the Foundation, explaining his/hers reasons for termination, before April 1st of each year.
Duties and Responsibilities
FAST expects fellows to contribute to the development of science and technology in Armenia by designing innovative products and generating scientific breakthroughs in their respective fields. Additionally, the Foundation expects that all fellows play an active role and act as proud ambassadors of FAST around the world.
Fellows are required to perform their respective responsibilities including the following:
- Stay connected with FAST throughout the fellowship period.
- Participate in seminars, roundtables, and conferences, when required by FAST.
- Publish articles in scientific journals, preferably in journals indexed by Scopus and Thomson Reuters.
- Provide biannual reports on their academic progress.
- Avoid academic misconduct - academic misconduct will result in immediate suspension from the FAST Fellowship.
- Display professional conduct while using social media outlets.
- Serve as FAST ambassadors by spreading information about the fellowship and other FAST projects through digital media outlets and during different academic events.
During the fellowship program, the Foundation will create networking opportunities to introduce fellows to the leading companies and research institutes of Armenia. This introduction can provide fellows with an opportunity to establish contacts and to kick-start or continue their professional development.
APPLY ON COMPANY SITE
Please state that you learned of this announsments from Youth Canal website.